Red Flag Media, a growing independent magazine publisher based in Philadelphia, PA, seeks a talented and versatile designer who will create page layouts for Decibel, RFM’s internationally worshipped monthly metal magazine.
The designer will also create a range of marketing materials, including the magazine’s presence online, collateral for tours and events, and social media. The person in this position is also responsible for designing advertisements for Decibel and may be asked to manage additional production work and projects.
The designer will produce press-ready, high-resolution PDFs for print. Experience with four-color page production and online soft-proofing/approval is a plus. Must be fluent in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, comfortable with web design, and familiar with Squarespace. Experience with art direction and magazine production is a plus.
The ideal candidate will display a strong portfolio of publication design, branding and poster work. We’re looking for a quick study who is curious, industrious and capable of working effectively in a collaborative environment. You must thrive on a mix of creative design challenges and less glamorous production duties.
A passion for all things metal and print is a must. Communication skills are critical to this position.
This is a full-time, mid-level position with generous benefits stationed in our Center City Philadelphia office. Salary is 35K – 42K, commensurate with experience.
Monthly Editorial Design Duties:
- participate in Decibel editorial planning meetings, helping to shape and direct content from concept to print
- design features, departments, covers and reviews
- acquire and format images, including basic color-correction and image editing (masking, extending backgrounds, etc.)
- assign and direct photographers (typically one or two shoots a month) and do basic retouching
- generate and/or assign and direct illustrators (typically two illustrations per month)
Additional Monthly Duties:
- create graphics for the website, social media, e-mail blasts, and other marketing materials
- assist with other RFM titles and projects
- manage art invoices
Applications are due April 1. Our interview period closes April 15. Our ideal start date is May 2, 2016.
We care about cover letters. Explain your interest, convey your passion, and tell us why you want to be a part of our team. Please send the cover letter and your résumé in a combined PDF, as well as a link to your online portfolio, to email@example.com. Be sure to include “Decibel Designer” in the subject line of your email. No calls or drop-ins, please.
We apologize that we will only be contacting those candidates that we wish to interview, and we thank you in advance for your interest in joining our team.