For the next few weeks, the Western world will devote much of its time, energy and money to buying stuff. Mostly for other people. And all in the name of a Christian holiday. Or maybe a Jewish one. I don’t think there are any Satanic holidays this time of year and if there are, I’m not totally clear on the whole gift-giving protocol. Maybe a pigs head or goat gall bladder? Regardless, if you’re reading this, chances are you will be participating in this massive exchange of commerce.
We’d like to make an appeal to you before this season starts. Give your money (in a manner of speaking) to us. Decibel, believe it or not, has a lot of talented writers in its employ. Some are so talented that they have even seen their names listed on the New York Times Bestsellers List—cough, cough, John Darnielle—but it’s not like we’re keeping score as to who’s better or best or who was long listed for prestigious literary awards (again, Darnielle). Anyway, to help you with your seasonal gift buying, we’ve assembled a list of the many tomes our staff and contributors have written in hopes you’ll consider purchasing one of these and further showing your support for Team Decibel.
Many of these can be found at independent book stores, which are like the vinyl-carrying indie record stores of the book world—a dying breed. So, if you’re going to be out there spending your money on Black Friday or, better yet, Small Business Saturday, look for some of these titles. We’ve included links to titles that you can purchase online through Decibel (a small business) or other indie endeavors.
• Wolf in White Van: A Novel
• 33 1/3 Black Sabbath: Master of Reality
• Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore (available through Decibel)
• Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces (available through Decibel)
Kevin Stewart-Panko (with Justin Smith)
• Do You Have Anything to Declare (available through Vitriol)
Mark Rudolph (edited by Rudolph and also featuring the illustrations of Bruno Guerreiro)
• Satan Is Alive: A Tribute to Mercyful Fate (available, along with several other of Rudolph’s comic books and illustration collections here)
• Morbid Tales: a Tribute to Celtic Frost (available from Corpse Flower)
• Decibel Presents the Brewtal Truth Guide to Extreme Beers: An All-Excess Pass to Brewing’s Outer Limits (available from Decibel)